Arizona Physical Therapy Assistant Schools

Arizona has a mix of community colleges and career colleges that provide physical therapy assistant programs. Most program offerings are at a degree level of Associates.

One rather unique point for becoming a PTA in Arizona: You will be required to pass Arizona's jurisprudence exam. This exam is put in place so the state can ensure patients are getting the physical therapy care they need.

It also makes training from an accredited program (also required to practice in Arizona) that much more important.

See below for our full list of PTA programs in Arizona - you can even request information from them to learn more.

Salary Comparison for PTAs in Arizona

Below is a comparison from, US Department of Labor, comparing salaries at high, median, and lower salary levels of physical therapy assistants in Arizona to the rest of the country.

Source:, US Department of Labor

Arizona PTA Schools to Consider

Pima Medical Institute (below) has a program that is approximately 18 months long. PMI's program includes curriculum of base PTA theory, knowledge of the human body with anatomy courses, exercise, and rehabilitation.

Mohave Community College has a physical therapy assistant program that had an 89% pass rate on the national exam in 2012 and a graduation rate of 74% in 2012, and focuses on employment upon graduation (with an employment rate of 82% in 2012.

Carrington College in Mesa, AZ has an associates physical therapy training program, and also prepares students for the national exam as well as licensure in Arizona with a combination of in-classroom and clinical training..

As with most PTAs, be expected to work in a variety of different settings. Hospitals, private outpatient therapy practices, skilled nursing facilities, specialty settings, and in home health visitations are common.

PTA Licensing Req. in Arizona

    AZ PT & PTA Licensing Requirements:
  • Graduate of a professional physical therapy education program accredited by a national accreditation agency that is approved by the AZ board
  • All applicants must pass Arizona jurisprudence exam
  • Passing of NPTE exam required

The state of Arizona requires all physical therapy assistants to be licensed by the state (see licensing requirements to the right).

PTAs are required to have completed an accredited physical therapy assistant program in addition to passing the national physical therapy exam (NPTE).

Below are listings of all the schools we could find that offer physical therapy assisting (or related) programs. Simply browse the listings and click on one of the buttons to get more information about the specific program to see if it's right for you. We recommend requesting info from 3-5 schools to weigh all of your options.

All Accredited Schools in Arizona with PTA Degrees

Brookline College-Phoenix

PTA Program: Physical Therapist Assistant | CAPTE Accredited Phoenix | Arizona

Carrington College-Mesa

PTA Program: Associate of Science - Physical Therapist Assistant Program | CAPTE Accredited Mesa | Arizona
Accreditation: Western Association of Schools and Colleges - Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges Detail: PTA program accepts 30 students per class. The program currently has one class start per year. Provides three clinical education experiences: a two-week course - a seven-week course - and an eight-week course for a total of 690 clinical hours.

Carrington College-Phoenix Westside

PTA Program: Physical Therapist Assistant | CAPTE Accredited Phoenix | Arizona

Carrington College-Tucson

PTA Program: Physical Therapist Assistant | CAPTE Accredited Tucson | Arizona

Eastern Arizona College

PTA Program: Physical Therapist Assistant | CAPTE Accredited Thatcher | Arizona

GateWay Community College

PTA Program: Associate in Applied Science Degree in Physical Therapist Assisting | CAPTE Accredited Phoenix | Arizona
Accreditation: Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education Detail: Program can be completed in 21 months. Hybrid weekend program available. Students must earn a grade of C or better for all courses required within the program. Formal application and admission to the program by a point system is required.

Mohave Community College

PTA Program: Physical Therapist Assistant Program - Associate of Applied Science | CAPTE Accredited Kingman | Arizona
Accreditation: Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools Detail: 75 credit hours. Full-time program built to prepare graduates to work as a PTA under the supervision of a licensed physical therapist at the end of two years.

Pima Medical Institute-Mesa

PTA Program: Physical Therapist Assistant Program - Associates | CAPTE Accredited Mesa | Arizona
Accreditation: Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools Detail: Clinical education component of the PTA program consists of three - 40 hr. /week clinical practicums/externships for a total of 16 weeks of hands-on learning. PTA program accepts a maximum of 28- 32 students per class. There are 1-2 class starts per year. PTA program has a Student Physical Therapist Assistant Association - which participates in volunteer activities and community service and outreach.

Pima Medical Institute-Tucson

PTA Program: Physical Therapist Assistant Program - Associates | CAPTE Accredited Tucson | Arizona
Accreditation: Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools Detail: Currently accepts up to 30 students into each PTA cohort.